Crossing Lines: When Your Ex Wants to Move Your Kids The 100 Mile Rule

100 miles doesn’t seem too far away these days especially in a state as large as michigan.

Many of us day trip to destinations further than 100 miles from home. Lansing is close to Detroit and it is also close to Grand Rapids. However, when the other parent wants to move your kids over 100 miles away or across state lines, this distance can wreak havoc on your emotional and financial well being. 100 miles often means more than four hours round trip of driving distance.

With soaring $4.50 per gallon gas prices right now, weekly soccer games, and dance classes on Wednesdays and Fridays, 100 miles or more can serve as an effective way for your ex to keep your kids away from you.

Michigan and the 100-Mile Rule

It isn’t rocket science that kids need the love and support from their parents. The Michigan Legislature realized that it is normally in the best interest of kids to be close to both of their parents.

Since the early 2000s, Michigan has adhered to a “100-mile rule” where a parent cannot move their child more than 100 miles away from their home within the State of Michigan without the other parent’s consent or without obtaining permission from the court. This is measured as the crow flies. In other words, it is measured as a straight line rather than in road miles between distances. 

It is important to note that the 100-mile rule does not apply to taking kids out of state lines. If kids are relocated even one mile away from home, say if you live on the Michigan-Indiana border, your ex has crossed the line and cannot move your kids without your consent or a judicial order. For the 100-mile rule to apply, we are not talking about a road trip, vacation, or short stay. We are talking about relocating a child.  

How Can I Prevent My Ex From Taking My Kids?

A skilled family law attorney can help you exercise your right to parenting time and custody of your children. If your ex is threatening to remove your child from the area or from the state of Michigan, especially if it is across state lines, there is a lot at risk to you financially and emotionally. It is important to seek compassionate and skilled advice from a law firm to prevent the move.

The Kronzek Firm can help you keep your kids close!

Our skilled family law team is here to help you. If you’re prepared to fight to keep your kids nearby and continue to cheer them on at basketball games or little league, then we can help. In fact, we have been helping clients for decades. To set up your free consultation today, call 248-479-6200. We’re available 24/7, including nights and weekends for crisis intervention.