Can I Change my Visitation Agreement in Oakland County? (Pt 1)

Mother and daughter on beach playing in surf
Most Oakland County parents who don’t have custody want more time with their kids than they’re getting. Here’s how you do it.

If we had a dollar for every time a parent called us to ask if they could change their visitation agreement (which is called a parenting time agreement her in Michigan), we could take ALL our clients out to lunch. Seriously – it’s a subject that comes up a lot. Why? Because parents love their kids, regardless of what might have happened in their marriages. So naturally they want more time to spend with the people they care about most in the world.

It’s one of the greatest difficulties that parents face when they get divorced – they have to divide up their children’s time. Which means both parents lose out on time with their kids. They miss milestones, and simply daily activities that add meaning to life. And it hurts. (We get it, we’re parents ourselves!) So wanting to modify a parenting time agreement is a very common request here in Oakland County. You’re definitely not alone.

How is visitation usually awarded by the court in Oakland County?

Unless the court decides that one of the child’s parents is a danger to them, parenting time is awarded in whatever way is considered to be best for the children. That means, if a couple from Novi or Rochester gets divorced and only one parent gets custody of the children, the other parent is still entitled to be a part of their children’s lives. This non-custodial access is called ‘parenting time’.

If there’s a history of drug abuse, domestic violence, child abuse, or criminal activity in the home, it’s to be expected that the Oakland County Family Court will restrict your access to your child. However, outside of those specific scenarios, there’s not much the court will do to interfere with your relationship with your child. Which we believe is a good thing, because parents have a fundamental right to parent their own children.

But the visitation the court awarded me isn’t enough!

Many parents who are awarded visitation rights instead of custody share this sentiment. And it’s hard to blame them – after all, they miss their children. Also, it can seem very unfair when your ex has almost unrestricted access to your children, while you only have small visitation periods that last a few hours at a time. Saturday evenings and Tuesday evenings can seem like pittance compared to your ex’s 7 days a week.

In most cases, when one parent is awarded custody, it’s the mother. Statistically, that’s just the reality, even if it seems unfair to the dads of Oakland County. This means, for the most part, the issue of not having enough parenting time is often a ‘dad’ issue. However fathers are entitled to be a part of their children’s life, just as much as mothers are.

So how do I get more time with my kids?

Whether you live in Detroit, Royal Oak or Troy, if you’re a parent who loves their kids, you’re going to want more time with them, and we can help with that. Our skilled and experienced family law attorneys can explain what you’re up against, and help you navigate the process. If you’re trying to modify your own parenting time schedule, or simply keep your ex from changing it, you’re going to need help.

So call The Kronzek Firm at 866 766 5245. We’re here 24/7 to help you work through all your family legal concerns. And don’t forget to join us next time, as we’ll be discussing what your options are when it comes to changing your visitation order in Oakland County.