All I Want For Christmas is to Spend Time With my Kids!

A group of children standing together, holding candles in the darkness
Every parent wants to be with their children, especially during the holidays!

It’s Christmas time, folks! Time for giving gifts, cuddling up on the couch with your family to watch Elf, and getting together with loved ones. Unless of course, you have a parenting time agreement that keeps your kids away on Christmas day. Nothing feels worse than spending the holidays without your kids. But for many recently divorced parents, that’s the unpleasant reality. The better way is for the parents to have worked through an agreement for the kids to see both parents during the holidays, if possible. 

If that sounds like your situation, then you already know how painful it is to be away from your little loves during the holidays. But it doesn’t have to be like that forever. You do have options. And while it may be your current situation, there are ways to make this challenge easier to bear. Also, remember that there are things you can do to change the status quo for future holidays.

What are your options for this Christmas?

In truth, there’s nothing you can do to quickly change the situation for this holiday season unless both parents agree. Modifying court-ordered custody agreements and parenting time schedules takes time. We’re sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but we wouldn’t want to give you false hope. You CAN pursue a modification of your custody agreement or parenting time schedule, but not a week before Christmas. The gears of the court grind slowly, and it’s important to have realistic expectations so you don’t set yourself up for disappointment.

However, just because it’s too late to change the situation for this year, doesn’t mean you can’t get a jump start on next Christmas! If you aren’t happy with your court-ordered parenting time / holiday time order (because your ex gets more time with your kids than you do) or your parenting time schedule hardly gives you any time with them, you have choices. Although you’ll be required to prove to the court that some of your circumstances have changed to warrant the modification of your custody order.

Come and talk to us if you want to spend more time with your kids

Here in Oakland County, family court judges are willing to allow modifications to custody agreements and parenting time schedules, as long as you can prove that there’s been a change in circumstances that warrants the modification. At that point, they consider things like what the changes were, what kind of proof you have to back up your claims, and whether or not the modification will be good for your child.

Whether you live in Farmington, Royal Oak, Novi, Commerce or Bloomfield Hills, our skilled and experienced family lawyers can help you address all of your custody and visitation concerns. As parents, we understand how much you love your children, and how badly you want to be with them during the holidays. So if you miss your kids this Christmas and want next year to be different, call us at (248) 479-6200. We’re available 24/7, and we’ll do everything we can to help you prepare for a better future with your children.